Let me just start off by saying my family is obsessed with salmon! We have literally gone through picky eating phases with chicken, beef, vegetarian, and almost every other food type in this household, but somehow when it came to salmon, the kids have gobbled it up every time. I like to think I lucked out with this, because as you know, there is nothing nicer than cooking a meal without the worry that it won’t get eaten!
However, when I found a recipe for a “salmon burger”, I questioned whether my previous success with everyone liking salmon would hold up with this one. Don’t get me wrong.. The idea of a salmon burger sounded amazing to me! But, I couldn’t help but think the kids would expect a “real” burger when they bit into it, or the spices/flavours mixed into it wouldn’t be well accepted the first time around.
But as with any new recipe, I had to be brave and take the risk that it might get turned down. Without challenging them to try something new, there is no way I can expect my children’s taste palate to expand past what it’s used to. And so, into the meal plan rotation this went! P.S. if you want to find out my Top 5 recipes perfect for the busiest of families, download my recipe guide here.
When the day finally came for making it, I realized that I forgot to pick up burger buns to put the actual salmon in (#mealplanfail), so I decided to turn them into a low carb version salmon cakes and eat them over a salad. I created this awesome protein filled dill sauce to go with them, based on the flavours I used in the salmon recipe.
And let me tell you…
This recipe did not fail me! My husband and kids devoured every bite, although the kids decided that a bit of sriracha mixed with ketchup mixed INTO the dill sauce would be a better combination than what I suggested 🙂 We got to continue the streak our salmon loving streak, which was just plain amazing for me. And now, it’s time for me to share this recipe with you in hope that your family will love it just as much!
Tasty Salmon Cakes with Lemon Dill Sauce
– 1½ cups (2-5 oz. filets) wild-caught cooked salmon, chopped (may substitute canned salmon)
juice of 1 lemon + ½ tsp lemon zest
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 green onions, chopped
– 1 Tbsp. dried dill (fresh dill would taste even better in this :))
– 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
– ¼ tsp. salt
– ¼ tsp. pepper
– ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
– 2 eggs
– 3 Tbsp. panko crumbs
– 2 tbsp chopped parsley
– 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
Lemon Dill Sauce
– ⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt
– 2 tbsp chopped fresh or dried dill
– 4 tbsp lemon juice
– 2 tsp dijon mustard
1. Combine all of the salmon cake ingredients except the coconut oil in a large bowl and mix well. If using canned salmon, drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
2. Form burgers into 8 patties**. They will easily fall apart until they are cooked. Handle with caution 😉
Heat oil on a griddle or pan to medium high heat.
3. Carefully add salmon cakes to pan and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
4. While the salmon cakes are cooking, mix together all the ingredients for the lemon dill sauce and set aside
5. To serve, top with 1-2 Tbsp. parsley and lemon dill sauce on the side. Serve over salad
**Note: if salmon cakes are too “wet” before cooking, add a little more panko crumbs to the mixture. Keep in mind that as they heat on the pan, the eggs will cook and hold the whole thing together much better.
Be sure to let me know how it goes!